Saturday, March 8, 2008

It's NOT a Blizzard

So there's about 3 inches of snow on the ground outside. It's beautiful, heavy, packing snow, a little bit of wind and just below freezing. i.e. perfect night for walking in the snow, having a snowball fight, or skiing. However, in this instance, I suggest staying inside. Why? Because it's Nashville, and outdoors is just not safe.

I left home about a half hour ago to go pick up a friend from the airport. The whole feeling of winter felt wonderful as I scraped off my car. The fresh flakes, the smell of the air, the slight chill on my nose, the rumble of the car heating up. I was excited to be out in the snow. I pulled out of the parking lot, down my side street and out onto the main road. Within a few blocks, trouble. I got stuck behind a driver from Missouri who decided to somehow turn a 3-lane road with parked cars into a one-lane road, with a 10mph speed limit!

I got as far as the law school. That alone took 15 minutes. I can walk there in 20. I decided to go on just a little further. One driver apparently just gave up, the car was sitting in the traffic lane with its flashers on. Up ahead, I watched another car fish-tailing for half a block. Yes, cars will fish-tail in the snow, but you do it once and recover. The car should not look like it's swimming. After seeing that, and looking down the hill at the quasi-lanes of very slow moving cars, I turned around.

The back streets were so much better. I got back home in about 5 minutes. The time it should take to drive that distance. When I had to get back on the main street, I grabbed the right line, and drove. Unlike the cars in the middle/sort of right/sort of left lane that felt like reincarnating infants and crawling to their destinations.

Maybe everyone should have to go to Wisconsin, or better yet Minnesota or Fargo, for lessons before they can get a driver's license. And since it does snow here a few times a year, maybe Nashville should look into getting some plows!

And my friend, don't worry, he's fine taking a taxi.

(Original Post)

Hell, or right next door to it

Aggravated

Heater and fridge

No comments: