Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Shaina’s Scarf

I like to have a fiber project in my purse.  Something small to work on when waiting, sitting with friends or generally lolling around in a situation where I might otherwise get myself into trouble.  During a trip to DC for Mzzzz Jones’ baby shower, I was working on my sparkly purple stockings

Shaina's scarf (2)Mzzzz Jones commented that she liked the yarn very much and would love a scarf made out of it.  I’d gotten the yarn on clearance at JoAnn’s and only had one more skein or so left.  It would have to be a very lacey scarf to be of any decent length with that little yarn.  She said that was fine.  So I went for it.  It turned out gorgeous (if I do say so myself, though Mzzzz Jones also said she loves it).

Shaina's scarf in progress (1)I decided to do a fairly basic knit pattern but with large needles in order to give the scarf lots of space and a sort of lacey feel.  The yarn calls for size 2 needles; I used size 15, the largest bamboo needles I had.      Scarf in progress.

I tried a garter stitch at first, to get an idea of what it would look like.  It was underwhelming.  Then I tried a one-stitch wide rib.  That worked fabulously.  It gave the scarf a very symmetrical look; there’s no front or back.  The ribbing also gave the scarf depth, making it appear and feel very thick despite the thin yarn and loose stitches.  And best of all, it made the scarf extremely bouncy and stretchy.  Baby J can pull on it all he wants and not strangle Mzzzz Jones.

 Shaina's scarf (1)

yarn: Vanna’s Glamour by Lion Brand in Purple Topaz; listed for size 2; 96% acrylic and 4% metallic polyester

Needles: Takumi bamboo straight needles size 15

No comments: