Monday, April 28, 2008

The Big Kid

I had so much fun the other day, I just have to write about it! (Lest my readers begin to think my life is all droll.)

Saturday was gorgeous, mid 80s I think, bright, sunny, wonderful. One of those days where you can see God everywhere you turn. I had been sitting inside studying.... well, half inside. I like to hang my legs out my bedroom window since there's no screens. Wendy says that's a very me-thing to do. But the day was so gorgeous, I had to have more of me outside. So, I went to the park.

I'd never been to this park before. Had only noticed it a few weeks ago, just a 1/2 mile away or so. It's big! There's a huge jungle gym playground thing with bridges and fire poles and slides and stuff. There's a huge rocking ship thing. There's little picnic tables with chess boards painted on top underneath hut roofs. There's this giant mosaic dragon monster sculpture that creates a place to climb, crawl and sit. There's big open places for Frisbee and ball. And best of all, there's a swing set :)

The park was full of little kids, parents, whole families on big outings with piƱata and games and picnic blankets. Everywhere I looked, more cute little kids running around, being happy, their faces glowing. Even the parents, hobbling after the kids, trying to duck under the bridges or crawl through the tubes, were happy, faces glowing (and grimacing). It was a little strange to realize that age-wise, I belonged grouped with those parents, not with their toddler children. But fun-wise, I'm going with the kids!

I swung on one of the big kids swings until a mother and two daughters came. The only open swing was one of the baby swings. Her daughters needed a big kid swing, as they looked to be about 5 or 6 years old. So, I gave up my swing. Mean big kids are no fun. The girls looked like they were having a blast.

I wandered around to discover the rest of the park and found a public school playground at the far side. More swings! Yay! So I swung a bit longer, watching a young girl chase a butterfly, listening to her helping her father with his English. It was really beautiful.

A nice afternoon excursion. Not too long, as I get older, I can only swing on the swings for so long before feeling dizzy (thanks Daddy). But it was the perfect break on a gorgeous day. I really wish my sisters could have joined me. I miss them. And now, back to studying. :)

(Original Post)

Couch

Peaceful

Fresh air blowing through the window

No comments: