Monday, March 25, 2013

Purple Peasant

Sometimes, I go for a little walk over the Plaza and wander through the aisles of JoAnn’s, looking at pretty fabrics and silly socks and fun trinkets.  On one of these little excursions, I happened to find this beautiful sheer purple fabric.  As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to make something for Alfred.

There wasn’t a lot left on the bolt, so I bought it all and added it to my stash.  As Christmas neared, I thought about what I could do with the fabric.  It was such a light and whispy fabric, it had to made into something that would allow it to flow.  I dug through my pattern boxes and found a cute peasant skirt pattern that I could alter a tad.

The purple fabric was extremely see-through, so I knew I needed a lining.  The pattern wasn’t lined, but I’ve gotten pretty good at lining un-lined patterns.  With a skirt like this, with a yoke top, it’s pretty easy to add lining layers to the bottom of the yoke facing rather than turning it under and sewing it to the yoke.

I had some gauze fabric left from pajamas I made for Mr. Trizzle a few years ago.  It wasn’t enough for the whole skirt, but it was a start.  Luckily, JoAnn’s still carried it and I was able to purchase the little bit more I needed.

I think it turned out pretty well.  I haven’t seen Alfred in it, so I don’t actually know if it fits or if she likes it, but then, it is more of a summer skirt and there’s a few more months to go until it’s summer in Ohio.

PB271508

Pattern: McCalls M5108   McCalls #5108 Size 6,8,10,12

2 comments: