Friday, March 8, 2013

Book Review: Pieces of Sky

I’m a sucker for historical fiction, and a nice little love story set in the wild west just after the Civil War seemed like a good escape for awhile.  Something to pick up and put down at leisure.  Boy, was I wrong, and right.

Pieces of Sky by Kaki Warner sucked me in and wouldn’t let me go.  Little did I know upon picking it up that this random novel would strike a chord deep inside me.  I really couldn’t put the book down and finished reading it in a few days.

The heroine of the novel, Jessica, is running away from pain.  Warner’s depiction is amazingly accurate.  The fear, the panic, Jessica’s attempts to bury it, her struggles to face it, everything resonates with reality and pulls the reader directly into the story.

Plus, it’s a cute love story set on a violent frontier, complete with gun battles, stagecoach robberies and stampeding cattle.  If this book were a film, it’d be one of those chick flicks you might be able to trick a guy into watching for the action scenes.  Descriptions are vivid, conversations witty and the entire book engulfing.  Normally, I send my finished novels to Mommy to read.  I’m keeping this one, sorry Mommy.

Bonus: I just realized this is the first novel in a trilogy. Guess I have a couple books to add to my reading list.

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

but, but...it sounds so interesting. Guess I may have to look for it and buy it myself - when I get through with the stack of books to read on my desk.

goldenrail said...

That'll be a few years ;)