Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Purple Sparkly Gloves

Somehow, I’d wound up at JoAnn Fabrics with Munchkinhead and Mommy.  This always-dangerous event has been made more so by my now living with Munchkinhead and gaining access to her employee discount.

So, I’m tootling around the store, pretending I’m not going to buy anything, and then I see it, red discount tag enticing me, sparkly-ness calling out to me, “Pincess… Pincessss!  You can make something fabulous with me.”  Purple yarn with a strand of silver running through it, purple sparkly yarn on clearance plus with Munchkinhead’s discount… Into the basket, one, two, three, four, is that enough?  Shrug.  Munchkinhead, “what are you going to make with that?”  “I don’t know; something fabulous.”

Turns out, my answer should have been “somethings fabulous.”  My first fabulous item was a new pair of summer gloves.  Purple, sparkly, lace, summer gloves.  I crocheted them!

Mommy tried to teach me to crochet when I was a little girl.  I wound up with a lot of triangular Barbie blankets, always losing a stitch on each end.  But I had the chaining part down pat.  I’m not great at knitting lace patterns, so I thought I’d see what options there were for crocheting it instead.  I went on YouTube and found this fabulous video for crocheting a basic lace.  I watched it at least half a dozen times, got the basic lace pattern down and made some gloves.

I used what I remembered from knitting gloves to give me an idea of the basic structure and just sort of went at it.  They are not perfect, but they turned out pretty decent.  Had them both done in just a couple days.  The wrists were a bit loose, so I went through my button collection and found two similarly colored purple buttons.  They’re different sizes, but that just helps me keep straight which glove goes on which hand.  Perfectly princessly!

 

purple sparkly gloves 1

yarn: Vanna’s Glamour by Lion Brand in Purple Topaz; listed for size 2; 96% acrylic and 4% metallic polyester

No comments: