Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Because Discrimination in Hiring is Illegal....

Email received today: (names and locations redacted)

My name is XXXXXX and I am an Assistant District Attorney here in
XXXXX, XX and formerly the President of the University of XXXX
School of Law BLSA Chapter. I have been an ADA for almost 4 years.
Our office prosecutes cases in XXXXX, XXXXX and XXXXX Counties.
Though my office has not officially posted openings, I know that we
have 1 and possibly 2 openings for an opening starting this summer for
an Assistant District Attorney. We are currently interviewing. This
office has previously hired attorney's before receipt of bar results.
We will also hire unpaid interns this summer as we have previously.
Last year we hired 5 unpaid summer interns (one to each trial team).
If there are any BLSA members, more specifically, African American law
students interested in applying for a position as an Assistant
District Attorney or summer intern, please have them forward their
resumes to my attention and I will forward to those in charge of
hiring. Time is of the essence.

Really, people. And this is equality?

(Original Post)

Bedroom

Irritated

Rihanna - Umbrella

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL

I'm not black, but you act as if this doesn't happen in EVERY position in the legal field. People network by any means. You better get with the program. Knowing someone is the only way to get an inside track. I'm Jewish and its never a problem when I connect with Jewish partners. And it certainly isn't an issue with X partner gets his in-laws hired. Nepotism is real.

(Comment originally left May 27, 2008.)

goldenrail said...

I don't act as if it doesn't happen, apparently you don't know we very well. I just think people should stop lying about it, calling things "diversity" to try and hide the true nature and claiming that there is equality in hiring, or in the world for that matter.

(Reply originally left May 27, 2008.)

Anonymous said...

I 'love' it when I see job posting (through the various professional listservs, paleo and museum related, I'm on) that say 'females and minorities are encouraged to apply' or even says "will be given preferential treatment" and then at the bottom it has the basic (mandated?) EOE statement "business X is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on gender or race...blah blah blah." Whatever.
~~Wendy

(Comment originally left May 29, 2008.)