Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Oakland Expedition #2: Trying to Get Dressed

People said it was going to be cool, but this is ridiculous. I've taken to comparing the weather here to the weather in Cudahy to decide if I'm in a good spot. Today, I'm "winning". It's supposed to be a high of 58 here and only 49 there. I have to ignore Nashville (81 today, although raining). 58 is not a cool summer, it's a cool spring. I have heard rumors that it will get warmer, I can only hope they mean before September.

This type of weather makes selecting a proper, yet comfortable and diva-enough, outfit from my limited wardrobe a bit difficult. Ideally, I would don one of my classic princess-seamed dresses - I brought 6 of them - and just throw on a jacket when venturing outside. However, this place is a bit like Zambia in that the distinction between outside and inside is blurred. The cool temperatures mean almost no bugs. Windows and doors are left ajar. The temperature from one side of the stoop is hardly different than that from the other. Instead of needing a jacket to go outside, I need a jacket or sweatshirt to leave my room. (I have found that by keeping the door closed and opening the curtains when the sun shines through my western windows, I can keep my room at a comfortable temperature.)

It is also like Zambia (cold season-Zambia) in that the mornings start out cold, but mid-afternoon in the sun can feel quite warm. This means 2 or 3 outfits a day sometimes. I don't mind that; it can be fun to change. And the warm afternoon welcomes those princess-seams.

Today, I have chosen a soft tan sweater. Though long sleeves generally irritate me, I have a few sweaters I enjoy. My old, too big, half-warn out jeans will have to suffice. The box with my good jeans (and my warm fluffy sweatshirt, among other things) has not yet arrived. I purchased a new pair of jeans last week for $10, but they're too light to wear with this sweater. And at least I have my fabulous new walking shoes. High-heeled sparkly gold and cream sneakers. That helps add diva. So today, I think I did ok, with my limited resources.

I'm looking forward to next week, when I start my job. Then I can wear my beautiful suits with my silky stockings and spend all day in nice high heels, without freezing. That will be wonderful: warm because of the jacket, layers and stockings; comfy because of the skirts and heels, and fun because it's me!

In the meantime, what I really need for around here are more longer skirts. I only have one. (I believe there's another in the missing box.) Luckily for me, I found a discount fabric store fairly near here. ;) And I made sure my sewing machine fit in the car on the way here. Guess I'll just have to sew!

(Original Post)

Bedroom

Complacent

Busta Rhymes - Pass the Courvoisier

No comments: