Friday, May 23, 2008

Oakland Expedition #1: $20, to make some sandwiches!?

Bread, milk, butter, cheese and carrots. That's what I bought at the store. That's it; that's all, no more. Twenty dollars! Well, $18.35 to be exact, but still!

And you know I got the cheapest possible everything. Except for the butter. They had Land O Lakes, and I'll be darned if I'm going to support those so-called "happy" cows anymore than I have to! No siree, I got my butter from good old-fashioned Midwestern cows. The way dairy is supposed to be.

I also wound up with pre-sliced cheese. An extravagance in which I would usually not indulge. However, it was actually an economic choice this time. The cheese section included about 5 types of cheddar in any size you want. But the swiss. The swiss was only available in gigantic humugo family size, or pre-sliced. And pre-sliced was cheaper than the gigantic humungo family size that I would not finish before it went blue. I would also never buy organic veggies back home, they're usually twice as much. But, here, there was no other option, organic carrots or I'm Prince Phillip's horse.

The only bread that was less than $3, i.e. $2.99, was "Very Low Sodium Grain Bread". Sounds like something Daddy would buy. It's ok. At least it's not white.

I can't complain about the milk; it's cheaper than the gas.

This may take some getting used to. At least it looks like eating as cheap as possible will be much healthier here than anywhere else I've lived. That "cheap as possible" is just going to be much more expensive than any of those other places. Oh, for a bowl of nsima....

(Original Post)

The island at my new place

Content

Traffic on Telegraph

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

expensive but cheaper still

Even though it is expensive, at least it's still cheaper than making your own sandwiches. (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/02/11/63-expensive-sandwiches/)

(Comment originally left May 23, 2008.)

Anonymous said...

$20 for that amount of food sounds right, but then I again I live in Boulder, where it is also hard to find good midwestern dairy products. I agree, thanks goodness for Land-o-Lakes (butter and cheese :) ). Happy cows my vampire, way to boycott the California dairy industry. Some people in Boulder know of my refusal to buy California cheese and dairy products and they make fun of me for it, but they don't understand the wonderful taste that is Wisconsin (or at least mid-west) cheese.
~~Wendy (for those of you that didn't figure it out by the Boulder comment, or in other words, for those of you that aren't Aurelia, Mommy, Katrina, or Caitlin.)

(Comment originally left May 29, 2008.)

goldenrail said...

:) and Yoplait is from the midwest too.
Love you Wendy :*

(Reply originally left May 29, 2008.)