Saturday, July 19, 2008

Built to the Glory of Our god?

The few hushed whispers had died down.  As we sat silently in the long wooden pews, I looked around.  The high arched ceiling rose above me, light filtering in through the stained glass windows.  Winged cherubs looked down on us, their white marble bodies reflecting light from the small light bulbs above.  Separating the pews and the raised platform in the front of the room, a long brass rail, supported by beautiful redwood panels.  Intricate mosaics decorated one wall.  But this was no church.  This was not built to the glory of God.  No, this was built to the glory of man and his government.  Specifically, to the Ninth Circuit.

Looking around the room, at all it's decadence, I thought about one of my friends who became a Jehovah's Witness during college.  I remember her telling me about the issue Jehovah's Witnesses have with American flags, the Pledge of Allegiance, and all patriotic symbols.  Something made me feel like I sort of understood.  The way the room was designed, with all its splendor, the way it was supposed to make you stand in awe at its grandeur and the power of the Federal government, it seemed almost blasphemous.

"Are there any Jehovah Witness attorneys?" I wondered to myself, considering calling my friend to ask.  Somehow, I couldn't seem to reconcile their position on symbolism and idols with the procedures in court or the structure of the court house.  I didn't have much more time to wonder, the cases were beginning.

No comments: