Monday, July 14, 2008

The Little Things

It's amazing how much little things can really matter, how the smallest showing of kindness or happiness can turn a day around.

I was having one of those days, and it wasn't even 8 am. Alarm didn't go off, clothing just wasn't working for me, iron mussed up my white shirt. Running late, I tore out of the house and off to the BART station. On the way, grumble, grumble. My tummy reminded me I forgot to eat. I was late, hungry, tired and grumpy. But then, it all changed. As I neared work, my phone rang. It was one of my friends calling to share some exciting news! That call completely altered my whole day. The grumpiness that had tried to control my morning couldn't overpower the warm fuzzies I was left with after my friend's call.

A call like that from a friend may be one of the best ways to turn a day around, but it's not the only one. A few weeks ago I had a similar morning, turned around in a simple instant: a stranger smiled at me on the subway. That's all it took. It forced me to smile back. And once I smiled, I just couldn't stay grumpy.

There's a guy I see everyday who seems to really understand this. He panhandles at one of the entrances to the BART station. "Anything you can give, even a smile." And he smiles back. Greets everyone nicely; the cup in this hand seems like an accessory, as though his real purpose there is just to brighten the day for all of us. I look forward to seeing him each day.

A smile, a phone call, a simple hello. So easy to give, and so powerful.

No comments: