Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Help! Nashville's Turning into Berkeley

Within 20 minutes of me, there is now a Whole Foods, a Harris Teeter and a Trader Joe's.  I can't tell you the last time I drove down to school and didn't see a car with about 8 bumper stickers on it proclaiming anti-war, anti-life and anti-mainstream sentiments.  And then today, when I got to school, I parked next to a Honda Civic Hybrid!

If they're going to important Bay Area "stuff", couldn't we get some of the good things.  Decent public transportation?  Mandatory recycling?  Pedestrian-friendly roads?

But noooooo, we get the junk.  Free speech to the max (as long as you're extreme liberal), expensive fancy so-called-natural grocery stores and ... ok, the hybrid's not bad, though I'd prefer if it wasn't a Honda.  Can I get a hybrid Buick up in this place?  A hybrid anything I can fit in?

Grrr... at least there's always Wal-Mart...

4 comments:

Dorian said...

Maybe I should be moving back to the South.

goldenrail said...

but it's the bad stuff!!! And the Trader Joe's doesn't even have Two Buck Chuck because of the TN laws restricting liquor sales in grocery stores. Trader Joe's w/o Two Buck Chuck?! Worthless...

Although... if you wanted to come back before, say, May, I wouldn't argue ;)

MaryRuth said...

Oh boy...
ummm...GM *did* have electric vehicles and the technology at one time. I know, my boss had one. And guess what? They came and took his car and crushed it up into a little tin can. So now he has a Toyota electric car. (Not hybrid)
TJ's (here anyway) is the cheapest milk, butter, coffee around. Support local farmers instead of WholePaycheck. I've never been in a WalMart and I don't think I will ever.

goldenrail said...

MR: Not sure how TJ's compares around here price-wise. Ours is in an area called Green Hills, which has the worst traffic around. I do most of my grocery shopping at the little store down the street from me and will probably start doing more at the international grocery store since I'm trying to find yummy vegetarian recipes and they tend to be "exotic" cuisines.
I generally go to WalMart when it's the only thing open or I need one little sewing thing (the nearest sewing store is 40 minutes a way). My favorite thing is to go and see what strange combinations of things people are buying in the middle of the night. Must get that from my daddy.