Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Strange Things Happen When I Leave the Country

Mel and I haven't actually talked in awhile, you know how that whole other-side-of-the-world thing can be a bit of an impediment.  Our 'conversation' has instead been through blogger posts and comments.  However, if we were to have spoken in person, I think the conversation might have gone something like this:

Mel: I am sooooooo excited!  jumping up and down and clapping I'm going to a New Kids on the Block concert!!! Actually, two of them!!!!

Me: skeptical What?  The New Kids are touring again?  Is this like the Spice Girls reunion tour?  Aren't those guys like 50 by now?

Mel: No.  It is way better!  It's the New Kids!  It's going to be stupendous!  And they're only in their mid 30s.

After the concert

Me: Hi Mel.  How was your New Kids concert?

Mel: Fabulous!  There were all these pregnant women and they were buying cute little "Step by Step" onesies.  The guys had so much energy and put on a spectacular show.  They did almost all my favorite old hits and did a bunch of new songs, too.

Me: That's cool.  Wait?  Did you say "new songs"?  What new songs?

Mel: Check out "The Block."

And so, that's what I did.  I googled "The Block" and got a bunch of entries that said "New Kids on the Block."  As well as some random websites about an Australian tv show and knitting.  Not very helpful, so I clicked the Wikipedia entry for New Kids on the Block, and there it was - released Sept. 2, 2008 The Block, the newest New Kids album.  WTV?  (that's 'what the vampire')

I don't know what shocked me more, that this album debuted at #2 (go Young Jeezy!) or that they got Ne-Yo, Akon and the Pussycat Dolls to be on it!  Any of those 3 artists right there could sell an album of cats howling if they guest-ed on it.  There's even a track produced by Timbaland!

Incidentally, the first two singles, one of them featuring Ne-Yo, were released before I left the country, and I didn't hear either of them.  But, I'm aware that I was in the Yay, and radio stations in the Yay don't exactly play the same music as the rest of the country.  Guess I'll just have to check it out when I get back.

Me: Mel, can I listen to your copy instead of buying my own?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

of course you can listen to my cd, anytime!

Do you want me to pick you up a shirt at the next concert? or maybe a big button?


I love this post and I love you :)

:)

goldenrail said...

thanks Mel, glad you liked it. I'll find you when i'm home in couple months to listen to that cd, but, uh, i'll pass on the t-shirt and big button. Thanks anyway!