Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ah, Those Blond-Haired, Blue-Eyed...

Dara is in second grade at the International Community School here in Abuja.  This week she brought home an art project.  It was one of those "About Me" works where the students have to draw themselves, their families and things they like.  Here is Dara's self portrait:

Dara's self portrait cropped

Now, here is a photo of Dara:

Dara and FooFoo cropped

I asked Dara why she drew herself with blond hair and blue eyes.  She shrugged and said, "no other colors" with a sort of half question mark at the end.  This is Dara's whole artwork:

Dara's About Me cropped

As you can see, she used lots of other colors, including black and brown, in her drawings.

Maybe I've been brainwashed by America's racial tensions, but this really bothered me.

2 comments:

Dorian said...

I love the video!

goldenrail said...

@dtrizzle: I'm guessing the video you love is the Catchy McCain game in the next post. ...?